Northbound train pulling into Bletchley railway station

07 August 2010

Summer sale

"Yay! I have booked my train tickets for London this weekend"

"Excellent! Will cost me just £2.95 return to Redditch on Sat with the @LondonMidland online rail sale!"

"My London Midland 1/2 price sale tckts have arrived £10.80 for the lad and I London returns with Family Railcard. Brilliant"

These are just some of the 'Tweets' that LondonMidland have been forwarding on in their recent postings on Twitter that promote their current half-price off-peak ticket offer (see London Midland - Summer Rail Sale).

So what do we commuters think?  Personally, I'm not sure how I view this. 

I do think it's great that people can travel for less and if they are on off-peak weekend or midweek morning and afternoon/evening trains then it doesn't impact on me.  London Midland get to earn some extra income from people who wouldn't otherwise travel, money which maybe will keep an extra member of staff on their books or fund some service improvements.

I have to admit that another part of me is a bit annoyed that London Midland are prepared to see people travel from Bletchley to Euston and back for £7 while they charge us a year in advance the equivalent of £14+ to do same journey just at a different time.  I guess this is just envy, one of the seven deadly sins...

What do you think?



   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add your own views or questions. Unfortunately we have been receiving a lot of spam in recent months so have had to change the settings to disallow anonymous comments.

If you wish to submit a response to any of the postings on here and find that you are unable to do so for technical reasons then feel free to drop a line to eustoncommuter@gmail.com